The ACO believes in the cultivation of new music and giving up-and-coming composers the opportunity to have their music performed. Every two years, composers from around the world submit their compositions for the opportunity to have their piece performed by the ACO in one of their regular concerts and the cash prize of $1,000.
Rules of Entry for the Next Contest in 2015Deadline is December 15, 2015
- Please submit a .PDF score and a MP3 recording to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Or, you may snail mail hard copies to:
Dr. Lois Ferrari
Sarofim School of Fine Arts
1001 E. University Avenue
Georgetown, TX 78626
- A recording of a live performance is preferred. A digital rendering will be accepted.
- Only one entry per composer.
- Submissions do not need to be premieres. Compositions that have been previously performed are permitted.
- Compositions should be written for standard full orchestra with the following approximate instrumentation:
52 strings - 24 violins, 12 violas, 12 cellos, 4 double basses
Full winds, brass, and percussion (including English horn, bass clarinet, and saxophone)
No chamber works, concerti, or pieces that contain narrator, electronic, vocal, or multi-media parts.
- Submissions should be approximately 10-15 minutes in length and require no more than four or five hours of preparation for performance.
- An optional, tax-deductible donation of $50.00 USD is suggested to offset the costs of the contest. Checks should be made out to "Austin Civic Orchestra."
- The ACO reserves the right to not award a winner.